[OpenWrt] Security Wiki Page and possible project

Eric Schultz eschultz at prplfoundation.org
Tue Jan 5 09:31:32 PST 2016

Hope everyone is getting back into the swing of things with the new year. I
wanted to highlight a post on the OpenWrt devel mailing list. (
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-December/038365.html)
Brian Smith created a wiki page (https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/security)
highlighting security topics and questions about OpenWrt. I think it's one
of the best descriptions of opportunities for improving security and
considerations the community could make.

One topic that I think would be of interest to us is a discussion of
automatic updates. Brian proposes developing a framework for device makers
to use for handling automatic updates. Additionally, this framework could
be used for providing automatic updates for vanilla OpenWrt users. This
seems like an area where our industry relationships would be valuable in
developing a standard update mechanism for OpenWrt.

Is this an area that folks think we should get involved in?

Eric

--
Eric Schultz, Community Manager, prpl Foundation
http://www.prplfoundation.org
eschultz at prplfoundation.org
cell: 920-539-0404
skype: ericschultzwi