[FCC] IMMEDIATE ACTION Examples of UNII rules already affecting companies

Christopher Waid chris at thinkpenguin.com
Thu Sep 24 12:30:13 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-24 02:25 PM, Eric Schultz wrote:
> All,
>
> A writer for ArsTechnica is asking for specific examples of router
> manufacturers engaging in lackdown due to the UNII rules. Router
> makers have not responded publicly to him so far. He wants to publish
> the article tomorrow morning so we need examples immediately. I have a
> few examples but most of them are private right now so I'm trying to
> get them to speak publicly. Do we know of anyone who can confirm this
> with some sort of direct experience?
>
> Chris maybe?

Yea- the ones I've got personal confirmation of having updated firmwares
which now include signature checking where they did not before (ie locks
so you can't flash non-signed firmware) are from TP-Link and Rosewill.
The newer stock firmware for the Rosewill RNX-N300RTv2. TP-Link has also
locked down a similar firmware/router TL-WR841N v8.2 around the same
time.

There are other examples elsewhere with people indicating newer
firmwares that are shipping on older routers of the same hardware
revisions. A quick search turned up a Netgear WNDR4300 as now being
locked.

There are other examples as well we have encountered because of work on
LibreCMC, but I can't recall the specific routers/models/revisions.
However we have dealt with many different companies locking down
different models which did not have signature checks/locks prior until
recently.